Roast beef is a delightful meal that’s known as England’s national dish, along with the equally delicious Yorkshire pudding and fish and chips. It is also a favorite in other households too for its versatility. You can eat it as is; pair it with side dishes like mashed potato, roasted tomatoes, sautéed veggies and even with gravy; serve it rare, medium rare or well-done; eat it with rice or use it in your sandwich. Certainly a dish with zero waste! Even leftovers may be converted into hash. And though it is commonly cooked in an oven, you can actually prepare it using your La Caja China, too! So if you’re looking forward to serving a lip-smacking beef dish to your loved ones and friends this weekend, check out this tasty recipe!
* 1 whole piece of 5-pound beef, tenderloin cut
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
* 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
* 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced
* 8 garlic cloves, minced
* 6 tablespoons olive oil
1. Prepare your rub. In a mixing bowl, combine your olive oil, minced garlic, minced rosemary, dried thyme leaves, black pepper and salt. Set the mixture aside while you’re preparing your beef.
2. Prep your beef tenderloin by first trimming off all of its excess fat. Make sure that your knife is sharp. Fold the thin tip’s end to estimate the thickness of the meat. Use butcher’s twine to tie the roast every 1/2 up to 2 inches. This will keep your meat in shape even after roasting. You also have to snip the silverskin, that layer of white tissue in your meat, to prevent the roast from bending while being grilled. Once done, rub the meat generously with your spices and set it aside.
3. Fire up your La Caja China. Position your ash pan and charcoal grid. If you have the Model #1 box, you’ll have to add 14 pounds of charcoal. If you have the Model #2 box, you’ll have to add 16 pounds. Light them up and after 20 to 25 minutes, they should all be burning. Spread them generously over the grid. Your cooking time will now officially begin.
4. Place your meat on the grill and cover the box with its lid. After an hour, open the box and turn your meat on the other side. Connect your La Caja China meat thermometer into the center of your roast. Close the lid again and add 8 pounds of charcoal. Continue adding that amount for every hour until your thermometer shows your desired temperature. Just remember not to open the lid until you’ve reached the right temp. Here’s quick guide to help you out!
* Rare – 140 degrees Fahrenheit
* Medium Rare – 145 degrees Fahrenheit
* Medium – 160 degrees Fahrenheit
* Well-Done – 170 degrees Fahrenheit
5. Once the meat is cooked, simply move it over to the “cooler” side of the grill and let it cool down a bit. Carve and serve just the way you like it!
We hope that you loved our simple yet utterly tasty roast beef recipe! Check out other barbecue dishes that we shared on our blog like our clam bake, Texas brisket, baby back ribs and many more! If you want to cook up the tastiest, most unforgettable grilled dishes, get the best barbecue grill in town! Visit our website or reach La Caja China by calling 1-800-338-1323!
Are you a first-time La Caja China user? Watch our video and get time-saving tips from our very own Roberto Guerra!