Do you love chicken? We do, too! Among the best chicken parts we love are the drumsticks or legs. In fact, they’re actually a favorite during barbecue parties especially if they’re served to kids! Why not? They’re juicy, meaty and appetizing! So if you are thinking about a delectable chicken drumstick recipe for your party this weekend, read on and try cooking this in your La Caja China! This recipe makes 6 to 12 chicken drumsticks. You may use your own barbecue sauce or rub if you prefer but for best results, you might want to follow these suggested flavors!
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 1 cup applewood chips
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic, granulated
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 cup apple juice, unsweetened
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper (black)
1. Make the rub by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl or container.
2. Make the sauce by first boiling the cider vinegar and unsweetened apple juice in medium heat. Once the mixture is diminished in half (probably after about 5 minutes), lower the heat. Add the rest of the ingredients. Let the mixture simmer for another 5 minutes while occasionally stirring. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Rub your chicken drumsticks and ensure that all the areas are all well-covered.
4. Prepare your La Caja China by lighting up the coals. Once they turn gray and ashy (probably about 15 minutes), spread them throughout the grid. Let the coals burn down to about 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. Scatter your apple wood chips all over the grid or you may also use La Caja China’s smoker. This will give your drumsticks a smoky apple twist!
6. Once there’s smoke in your grill, place the chicken legs on the “cooler” side of your La Caja China grill. Cover it and let it smoke for about 45 minutes. After smoking, remove the drumsticks and add another set of coals.
7. When the charcoals are all fired up, place your chickens on the hot area of the grill. Let it cook without using the La Caja China lid. Don’t forget to turn them after 5 minutes so they won’t burn.
8. When your chicken legs are about to get well cooked, move them to the “cooler” side of the grill and brush them with the barbecue sauce. This time, cover the La Caja China with the lid and let the legs cook until the thermometer reads to about 170 degrees Fahrenheit. You can apply the barbecue sauce every 10 minutes. Don’t serve them dry. It’s okay to leave them with some barbecue sauce for a tastier treat!
Hoping that this recipe will make your party, lunch or dinner even more memorable! For more chicken drumstick recipes, don’t forget to visit our blog site! Should you need your own La Caja China, go to our website and browse our wide array of bbq grills on sale, bbq grill parts, bbq grill accessories and our trademark sauces! Call us at 1-800-338-1323 for inquiries!
Want to know how to maximize the grilling benefits of your La Caja China? Watch this video and learn about the best accessories and spices straight from our very own Roberto Guerra!